How do I get a 3 year work permit in Canada?

The Post-Graduation Work Permit is a program that allows students who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution to obtain work experience. The permit has a duration of up to 3 years depending on the length of the program finished.

How do you get a 3-year work permit in Canada?

Technically, the longer your program of studies, the longer your post-graduate work permit will be. For instance, if you have completed a 3-year study program, then your PGWP will typically be available for 3 years.

The PGWP is issued for a minimum of 8 months to a maximum of 3 years. The length of the PGWP will vary depending on:

  • The breaks you take during your program
  • Supporting documents that you provide
  • Passport validity date
  • Credit transfer for the program
  • DLI institution eligibility for PGWP
  • Distance learning (online or in-person learning)
  • Programs with an overseas component

How do I get a 3 year work permit in Canada?

Is 1-year post-graduation work permit enough for permanent residence?

It might be enough, however, it might be harder to get a full year of skilled work experience with just 1 year of PGWP.

It is recommended that you complete a program of studies of at least 2 years in order to get a 3-year work permit. It is a requirement for the permanent residence (PR) to work full time for a whole year in Canada. If possible, and PR is a priority, try to do a program of at least 2 years to secure a full-time year and the PR pathway that you are looking to achieve.

What are the benefits of applying for a post-graduation work permit?

There are many benefits for international students having a PGWP. It can help in many more ways than just giving the option to work full-time for the length of it. Some of those benefits are:

1. Work full-time

International students are entitled to work up to 20 hours while studying. However, the PGWP offers you to work full-time even while the PGWP application is being processed. You have the option to work in one or more jobs at the same time and the number of hours you want.

2. Gain Canadian experience

Students can gain valuable experience with a PGWP. It may help at the time of applying for permanent residence, build connections with people from different backgrounds, improve language proficiency, and gain more skills for other jobs.

3. Path for Canadian residency

The PGWP is one of the bridging mechanisms to transition from a temporary residence to a permanent residency (PR). The PGWP is a good way for an international student interested in immigrating to Canada through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

Keep in mind that PGWP holder need to work for at least one year in any of the job groups 0 (zero), A, or B of the NOC system to be eligible to apply through the CEC category. If the job corresponds to other groups then you can apply through a different PR category.

4. Flexibility to choose a job

The PGWP gives you the opportunity to work for any employer and in any occupation even if you do not have a job offer. You will even have the possibility to work in a field that is not directly related to the field of study that you completed. The PGWP also lets you apply to jobs anywhere in Canada and start or finish anytime you want within the eligible time of the permit.

5. Time to think about your future

A great thing about the work permit is the fact that it lets you have more time to think about what you want to do with your future, whether it is going back home or applying for PR and staying in Canada. Whatever the decision is, you can take enough time to know what to do after graduation and after your PGWP is terminated.

What is the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system and how does it work?

The NOC is the national reference for occupations in Canada. It provides a classification structure for organizing and categorizing the range of occupational activities in Canada (jobs). It does this to collect, analyze, and disseminate the occupational data for labour market information and employment program administration.

In brief, the government uses the NOC system to classify jobs. These jobs are classified based on the type of work an individual performs and the job duties. The categories that the NOC system has are:

  • Skill type 0 (zero): management jobs
  • Skill type A: professional jobs that tend to require a degree from a university
  • Skill type B: technical jobs that tend to require a college diploma or training
  • Skill type C: intermediate jobs that tend to require high school or specific training
  • Skill type D: labour jobs that tend to give training

The immigration programs used the NOC system to understand and review if a job meets the eligibility for such programs. The government considers skilled jobs those of skills type A, B or 0 (zero).

To apply for the PR under the category of Express Entry (which includes Federal Skilled Worker, Canadian Experience Class, and Federal Skilled Program), the job you perform while doing the work permit needs to be skills type A, B or 0 (zero). However, if you find yourself in a job skills type C or D you can apply for PR under the category of Provincial Nominee or Atlantic Immigration Program.

Besides, if you want more information regarding the PGWP basics and eligibility, click on the link attached. Also, if you want more information regarding the PGWP validity and application, please visit the government website.

More articles