Ready to travel to Canada?

Discover what you need to know.

Step 1. Housing


One of the most affordable ways to meet your living requirements in Canada.

Residence-style accommodation

Stay in a student-style residence while you are deciding on a place to live.

Off-campus housing

If you have any questions about off-campus student housing, please contact the Student Services Office at Room 207 or email

Step 2. Health and Medical Insurance

In British Columbia, there are generally two types of insurance:

  • Government-led MSP
  • Extended, which is obtained through some form of employment

MSP covers most basic medical problems which occur in BC, such as visits to doctors, hospital stays and diagnostic medical testing.

For more information about health and medical insurance, please visit the Acsenda website. 

All students covered by MSP are issued a Care Card. International students will have to pay a healthcare coverage fee of $75 every month in order to maintain their MSP coverage.

What are the extended health benefits?

Extended health insurance generally covers vision care, prescription drugs and dental care. Extended health insurance can be purchased at an additional cost to supplement your MSP. For more information, contact Student Services. Other health benefits available to students include:

There are numerous mental health and substance use-related services and resources available in
Vancouver. Below is a short list of these resources:

All these support programs are designed for youth and adults to obtain help with anxiety, depression, stress, low mood, or worry. If you want more information please go to the respective pages.


For the first 3 months, students must have temporary sickness and accident insurance. Acsenda has established a special Health Insurance Plan from Insurance.

To apply, go to the website. Read the policy carefully so you know which services are covered. If you are applying for Insurance Health Insurance Plan from your home country, and you do not have an address in BC yet, you can use the Acsenda campus address.

New immigrants, refugees and internationally adopted children may lack immunizations and immunization records.

Persons newly arrived in Canada lacking adequate documentation of immunization should be considered unimmunized and started on an immunization schedule appropriate for their age and risk factors unless known to be immune by serologic testing. In addition to the routine immunization schedule, certain vaccines that may be recommended include: 

– Hepatitis A vaccine
– Hepatitis B vaccine
– Rubella-containing vaccine
– Varicella-containing vaccine
– Inactivated polio-containing vaccine (IPV)
– Pertussis-containing vaccine
– COVID-19 vaccine
– Measles

For more information about any of the vaccines or where to get the, please go to the Canadian government website


Prepare your study permit and other documents

After you receive your letter of acceptance from Acsenda School of Management, you should begin the process of applying for your Study Permit. We recommend that you begin this application early because the processing time can vary.

What documents are included in your Study Permit application?

  • Your original Letter of Acceptance from Acsenda School of Management
  • A valid passport or travel document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it
  • Two recent passport photos of you and any accompanying family members. The name and date of birth should be written on the back of each photo
  • Proof of Financial Support while you study in Canada
  • A Medical Examination
  • Letter of Explanation

For more information on applying for or renewing a study permit, click the button below.

Step 3. Immigration Procedures

Step-by-step procedures before, during and after travelling

Before arriving
While travelling
After arriving

After the Canadian Embassy reviews your Study Permit application, you will receive a notification letter. This is not a Study Permit, but you will need to present it to the Canadian Customs (Immigration) at the border or airport to obtain your Study Permit. Embassies in certain countries may also issue a Temporary Resident Visa. This will be a stamp on your passport.

You will receive a “Customs Declaration Card” from the flight attendant. Fill out the necessary information. This card is to be provided to Canadian Customs and Immigration. 

Remember to prepare all the documents you might need to show Customs upon arrival:

  • Passport
  • Notification letter from Canadian Embassy
  • Letter of Acceptance from Acsenda 
  • Customs Declaration Card that you filled out on the airplane
  • ArriveCan App receipt 

Please make sure to follow these steps when arriving at YVR:

  • Follow the arrival sign and take the escalator to go downstairs. You will arrive at Customs.
  • After you have spoken with the Customs officer, you will be asked to go to a different counter to meet with an immigration official. Be patient as the waiting period may take some time. Based on the notification letter, you will be issued a “Study Permit”.
  • Look for your flight number at the luggage carousels. If you took a long time with the immigration officer, your luggage may be already on the floor.
  • Follow the Exit sign. Give the “Customs Declaration Card” to an officer.

What are the costs of living in Vancouver?

Although costs of living in Vancouver can vary, you can expect to spend around the following each month:

Need More help with pre-arrival?

Check out our Pre-Arrival handbook for more details about life in Canada, cost of living, health insurance, financial management, academics and more.