Health & Medical Insurance
I recently arrived in Canada, am I eligible for medical insurance?
Yes, Acsenda is partnered with an insurance provider known as guard.me. So, as part of your tuition, all accepted students who have arrived in Canada are eligible for the insurance that guard.me provides. This means that you are covered by their insurance for 3 months, in which you are then eligible for public health insurance.
What is MSP?
In B.C., public health insurance is called the Medical Services Plan – or MSP. It covers the cost of medically-necessary insured doctor services. Check https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/benefits to see what is covered. MSP is required for people who plan on studying in BC for more than six months.
On Jan. 1, 2020, with the elimination of MSP premiums, the health-care coverage fee for international students was lowered to $75 per month.
Click here to apply:
Please note some of the recent updates regarding COVID-19, as well:
- Within Canada, and British Columbia, measures are being taken to contain the spread of the virus.
- The Provincial Health Officer issued direction against gatherings of 50 people or more.
- People are asked to stay home and avoid going out unless absolutely necessary.
- The Canadian border has now been closed to non-Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents.
- All travelers coming into Canada to self-isolate for 14 days.
If you are concerned that you may have COVID-19, try the BC government COVID-19 self-assessment tool to help guide you on what to do. The province of BC has also set up a dedicated COVID-19 line at 1-888-COVID19 or text at 1-888-268-4319 OR 604-630-0300.
As well, Acsenda has established a health and safety resource for students, known as the ‘AskAboutCOVID’ helpline. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact askaboutcovid@Acsenda.com or phone +1 604 430 511 ext. 125 (8AM-4PM) or +1 604 430 511 ext. 121 (4PM-9PM).
WHO: How to handrub? With alcohol-based formulation
For the latest health information surrounding COVID-19, visit: