Can I work while completing my degree in Canada?

Can I work while completing my degree in Canada?

Yes, studying and working at the same time is possible!

As part of the assessment before you are granted a study permit, you need to prove that you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses and any family member accompanying you in Canada.  However, the Canadian government does allow for you to gain part-time employment of up to of 20 hours per week while regular academic sessions are ongoing, and full-time during school breaks.

There are a few conditions that you need to meet before you are allowed to work. These conditions are outlined on the Canadian government website, but the two most important things to note are as follows:

  • You must be studying full-time at a Designated Learning Institution.
  • You must be studying at least a six-month training program leading to a degree, diploma or a certificate.

If you are planning to work while undertaking your program, you must first secure a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada. Service Canada will only facilitate a SIN if, in your study permit, either of the following text appears:

  • May work 20 hours per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.

If you are unable to find the above stipulated on your study permit, then you can seek an amendment to it.

What do I need to do before looking for work?

Ample preparation before starting to find work often makes a lot of difference. The Acsenda School of Management has programs in place that will see you confidently secure valuable work experience while you are studying. These programs will teach you how to prepare your resume to meet the requirements of a discerning Canadian employer and what preparations you need before sitting for an interview.

More articles