Building Community Connections (BCC) Events Assistant
The vision of S.U.C.C.E.S.S. is a vibrant Canadian society where people thrive and contribute to inclusive communities. We are one of the largest non-profit social service organizations in BC, providing services for immigrants, seniors and housing. S.U.C.C.E.S.S. has evolved into a multicultural, multi-service agency assisting people at all stages of their Canadian experience.
The Immigrant Settlement & Integration Program (ISIP) assists immigrants, and their families learn about Canada’s systems and services. We offer opportunities for immigrants to develop English language skills, learn about Canada’s labour market, network, and develop professional and social networks, and settle into their local B.C. communities. ISIP services are for eligible immigrants, refugees and their families and are free of charge. Our services are offered in many languages.
We are recruiting volunteers to support our outdoors activities which may include (but not limited to:) Building Community Connections (BCC) ‘We Live Here’ and ‘We Volunteer Here’ program at our Vancouver Service Centres.
Specific location will be provided and confirmed by the Settlement Practitioner in charge closer to the activity date.
• Communicate with the assigned staff to understand the delegated tasks and/or attend an orientation (if applicable), either prior to or on the day of the event to ensure the delivery of a safe, fun and inclusive program
• Either meet at the location of the event or meet at our offices and commute with the group to the event’s location
• Greet and welcome clients, ensuring they are ready and have everything they need
• Support the staff in pre-departure tasks (e.g. registration/media consent form, initial guidelines, distribution of name tags, brochures, health & safety tips/material [if applicable], …etc.)
• Accompany the group and offer support to staff in ensuring all participants are together (or in identifiable groups)
• Ensure that all participants are always accounted for during the event
• Follow delegated tasks (e.g. encourage participants to engage in activities, potential informal interpretation for some clients who may need additional language support [no legal or medical interpretation], may lead a group for designated tours, …etc.)
• Check-in with staff throughout the event to ensure you get support, you provide feedback and the event’s activities are on track
• At the end of the event, support the staff with wrap-up tasks (e.g. gathering participants, distribution and collection of evaluation forms, ensuring everyone returns safely either home or back to the office, …etc.)
*For events that require an ISIP S.U.C.C.E.S.S. booth, specific responsibilities may include:
• Support with the set-up & take-down of the booth
• Assist the staff with greeting and engaging visitors to the booth (including any paperwork, distribution of promotional material and giveaways, announcing & engaging in interactive activities like a prize draw, simple arts & crafts …etc.)
• Direct visitors inquires’ to staff
• Collaborate with staff and other volunteers to ensure tasks are carried out while everyone goes on assigned breaks on time
• Other tasks as needed by the staff assigned to the event
Time Commitment and Schedule:
• Events dates and times vary. Volunteers can sign up for the events that meet their availability
• Approximately 4 hours per shift
• Shifts timing differs depending on the event’s schedule. Usually events occur between Monday to Saturday
• Intermediate Level of English or above
• Ability to speak a second language is an asset (Arabic, Chinese (Cantonese/Mandarin), Dari, Farsi (Persian), Korean, Russian, Ukrainian, Vietnamese)
• 19 years or older
• Customer service experience (preferred)
Personal Traits/ Qualities Desired:
• Outgoing, friendly, and welcoming
• Responsible, patient and a good listener
• Able to work in a fast-paced and multilingual environment
Orientation and Training Provided:
• General orientation to S.U.C.C.E.S.S.
• Specific orientation to the volunteer position
To apply for this job please visit app.betterimpact.com.