S.U.C.C.E.S.S. BC Settlement and Integration Services (BCSIS) is looking for up to 2 volunteers to help with its English conversation groups. BCSIS is a settlement service delivered by S.U.C.C.E.S.S. to support temporary residents and naturalized citizens to settle and integrate into the community. English conversation groups will be held to support temporary foreign workers, refugee claimants and immigrants who have now become Canadian citizens but may still be facing language barriers. By removing language barriers, BCSIS clients can integrate better into everyday life.
Remote: Access through zoom platform (zoom account is required)
In-person: 28 W Pender St, Vancouver, BC V6B 1R6.
Time Commitment and Schedule:
2 hours weekly commitment
Short volunteer briefing and training within 2 weeks of start date.
Aug 17, 24, 31, Sept 7
- 10-11:30am In-person 28 W Pender St, Vancouver, BC V6B 1R6.
- The instruction will be conducted in Cantonese and is geared towards seniors.
- Volunteers will have to be fluent in Cantonese & English.
- Practice English phrases and vocabulary used in everyday settings with a small group of people of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Facilitate each session according to the lesson plan
- Encourage equal participation among all participants
- Take registration and attendance at the beginning of each session and keep paperwork.
- May work alone or with another co-facilitator
- Fluent in English (CLB level 9-12)
- Education related to teaching or adult learning an asset
- Successful completion of a criminal background check
Personal Traits/ Qualities Desired:
- Friendly and reliable
- A non-judgmental listener
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Support the work of S.U.C.C.E.S.S. in our mission to build bridges, harvest diversity and foster integration through service and advocacy
- Gain valuable event experience
- Opportunity to practice group facilitation
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com