The Canadian Permanent Residence (PR) is a status that a foreign person or a non-Canadian citizen can obtain. It gives them the right to immigrate to Canada, and also live and work in Canada without any time restrictions. There are PR categories for international students to apply for depending on their status in Canada, the most popular are:
- Federal Skill Worker Program (FSW): Federal Skill Workers are immigrants with experience in particular jobs and are issued the Canadian PR visa depending on their capability to become economically stable in Canada.
- Provincial Nominee Program (PNP): The provincial Nominee Program is for experienced skilled workers who aim to move to a specific province and want to become permanent residents in Canada.
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC): The Canadian Experience Class is for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents.
What is the step-by-step procedure to apply for Canadian PR under the CEC category?
International students have available the primary category which is the CEC as soon as they submit their Canadian PR application. For that reason, this article will focus on this category and the steps to apply under CEC for Canadian PR.
The CEC is a program that works under the Express Entry which is an online application system for permanent residents. To apply for PR, every person must follow certain requirements in terms of education, language ability, admissibility, and the province you are living in. The following steps will help guide you through the application, however, check the Government website for more detailed information.
Step 1: Find out if you are eligible for the program
There are some ways that students can find out their eligibility to apply under the CEC through the Express Entry:
- Answer some questions to see if you fulfill the minimum requirements
- Read the requirement for the program you want to apply for
Step 2: Prepare your documents
You will need to prepare various documents for the different stages of the Express Entry process; these stages include documents for your profile, documents for your application for PR, and other documents if required. Some of the essential documents you will need to have ready are:
- Language exam results
- Passport or travel document
- Proof of Canadian education
- Proof of funds
- Other documents depending on your situation
Additionally, if you want to have more information about the detailed list of documents that you need for every stage please go to the Documents for Express Entry section on the Canadian government Website. Keep in mind that the score you get based on the point-based system will be based on the information that you provide in your profile, therefore check everything properly before submitting it.
Step 3: Submit your profile
If you managed to be eligible in the previous steps, the government will accept you into the pool of candidates; after that, you can create your Express Entry profile.
Also, remember to submit your profile with the right information to get an accurate result, also check your score to help you calculate your points.
Step 4: Receive an invitation and apply for the PR
The Canadian Government sends invitations to apply to candidates that have the highest scores in the pool. Please submit your application for PR in no more than 60 days. The government tries their best to process most applications that contain all the required documents in 6 months or less.
Besides, if you are interested to apply for the PR through the Express Entry system please go to the Canadian Government website to check all the detailed steps and documents. Also, if you need more help regarding the PR, please contact us.